I remember buying my first astrology book and being infatuated by the thought that a birthday could dictate behavior and personality. Similarly, I have been struck by the same curiosity surrounding the compatibility of pets and the thought that our own astrology could play and roll in our compatibility with our dog.
Pet lovers look at various traits in dogs to assess their future compatibility, such traits may include energy level, affection or desire for independence, or physical traits like coat or tail length (if they have a lot of nick nacks or small children). Now, we can add one more to the mix, dog astrology compatibility! Just like compatibility amongst people, our own star sign can be an interesting consideration when selecting a dog or wondering why we get along so well with our current dog.
According to Astrologist, Aliza Kelly Faragher, the study of astrology is expansive, complex, and transformative. Despite the nuances, the most fundamental principle of astrology centers on the 12 familiar star signs of the zodiac. Over the centuries, each sign has developed its own associations — including myths, animals, and colors — and its own characteristics. Every sign boasts an individual approach to life, complete with dynamic strengths and frustrating weaknesses.
The study of astrology is multifaceted starting with your sun sign and layering the various concepts of the signs to uncover a rich and complex practice that delivers insight into our true selves and maybe why our dogs are so happy!
At its basic there are four types of signs referred to as triplicities. According to “Triplicities” is astrospeak for elements, which include fire (the fire signs are Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius), earth (the earth signs are Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn), air (the air signs are Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius), and water (the water signs are Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces). Generally speaking, fire signs are passionate and exuberant, earth signs are practical and grounded, air signs are intellectual and curious, and water signs are intuitive and emotional.
We have covered all of the astrological signs below but here is a handy infographic of basic dog astrology compatibility.
Let’s start looking further into some traits provided by the stars and obvious dog breed compatibilities based on star signs.
1. Aquarius. If you are an aquarian you know that you you are special. This makes aquarians eccentric and energetic in their fight for freedom, or at times shy and quiet, afraid to express their true personality. In both cases they are deep thinkers and highly intellectual people who love to fight for idealistic causes.
We have known some aquarians and think that they would be incredible partners to Irish Wolf Hounds these gentle giants resemble aquarians in their intelligence and uniqueness and are referred to as calm dignified and kindly indeed the perfect dog astrology compatibility buddy.
2. Pisces. Pisces characterized by empathy and incredible emotional capacity, but only if they keep their boundaries strong and don’t let outer emotions overwhelm them. Pisces form incredible emotional relationships with people and pets which is why we selected the stoic and loving Burmese Mountain dog for their dog astrology compatibility buddy.
Burmese Mountain Dogs love to please and are blessed with a sweet affectionate nature. They will often form a strong bond with one person in the family which will likely be a pisces.
3. Aries. Hanging with an Aries usually means energy and turbulence. They are bold, brave, competitive and highly energetic. It is in their nature to take action, sometimes before they think about it which is why their dog astrology compatibility buddy is the husky.
There are 22 types of Huskies the most common the Siberian Husky. All are known for their incredible stamina as sled dogs are often the leader of a mush team and their energy is famous, often resulting in wearing out their human caretakers unless they are an Aries of course!
4. Taurus. Anyone cohabitated with the Bull or a bull dog before or both? If so, you probably know why we choose them as dog astrology compatibility buddies. You could also know that both can be a bit headstrong but also courageous and tenacious. Taurus is known to enjoy relaxing in serene, bucolic environments, surrounded by soft sounds, soothing aromas, and succulent flavors, that may also contain a Bull Dog escaping the heat due to their inability to face high temperatures.
What is interesting, like a Bull Dog, that is thought sometimes to have a “sour mug” face that has become the iconic symbol of tenacity, a Taurus similarly, has their dedication often mistaken by others as stubbornness.
5. Gemini. Geminis are volatile beings that are inquisitive, intelligent, and great thinkers. They are super-fast, super-smart, super-adaptable and super-curious people. All of this super-ness makes them fascinating to be around, says Cosmopolitan UK magazine. They are highly competent much like their dog astrology compatibility buddy, Border Collies. Border Collies are the competent herder and keeper of many of livestock due to their intense and focused nature and no one will dispute ther super-fastness!
According to Dogtime, the Border Collie dog breed was developed to gather and control sheep in the hilly border country between Scotland and England. They’re known for their intense stare, or “eye,” with which they control their flock. They’re dogs with unlimited energy, stamina, and working drive, all of which make them a premier herding dog; Border Collies are still used today to herd sheep on farms and ranches around the world.
6. Cancer. We paired a cancer with a golden retriever as dog astrology companion buddies since like does usually attract like. Golden retrievers are known to be smart and loyal much like cancers also known to be smart and loyal and caring.
Cancer energy is known to be emotional, homey and helpful just like dog astrology buddy, the Golden Retriever, the most popular family dog in the United States.
7. Leo. If you have ever shared your home with a mastiff especially a Cane Corso mastiff then you likely know why we found dog astrology compatibility between a Cane Corso and a Leo.
Leo the lion, much like Cane Corsos, are natural born leaders. They are dramatic, creative, self-confident, dominant and extremely difficult to resist, able to achieve anything they want to in any area of life they commit to, which with a Cane Corso may be food and may result in them not hearing you say “no.”
8. Virgo. Trust needs to be built with Virgo, slowly, steadily and patiently, and each partner they have in life has a chance to be nurtured and cared for, but only if they give enough to deserve special treatment of Virgo. These same characteristics are seen in Greyhounds, the dog astrology compatibility buddy to the Virgo.
According to Dog Time, Greyhounds, quite sensitive, both to extreme weather and to loneliness. This is not a dog who can be left home alone for long hours of the day. Give them the love, care, and exercise they crave, and you’ll have an adoring, cuddle bug companion for life.
9. Libra. Libras are known to be people pleasing and fun much like their dog astrology compatibility buddies boxers. Boxers are fun loving and their snorty smile definitely pleases people and is often met with a laugh.
According to the AKC Boxer’s are bright and alert, sometimes silly, but always courageous, the Boxer has been among America’s most popular dog breeds for a very long time. Their people pleasing nature is a perfect dog astrology match for Libras.
10. Scorpio. Do you have scorpio that you know and love? Well since like attracts likes we think that their dog astrology buddy is a Great Dane. These Popular Pet favorites never cease to amaze. Great Danes, the picture of delicate balance is the mighty ‘Apollo of Dogs,’ and is a total joy to live with much like their Scorpio dog astrology compatibility buddy.
Scorpios are known like Great Danes, to be fearless and unstoppable, when they have a cause to fight for, they will do it relentlessly and without paying attention to possible karmic or other consequences. Most of the time that means getting on your lap for a Great Dane but historically it meant chasing down deer.
11. Sagittarius. Curious and energetic, Sagittarius are the travelers of the zodiac. Their open mind and philosophical view motivate them to wander around the world in search of the meaning of life. Sagittarius is an extrovert, always optimistic, full of enthusiasm, and ready for changes.
We see these same traits in Corgi’s as they jet down the street full of energy and enthusiasm. Corgi’s are loved for their versatility which make them a great dog astrology compatibility buddy for the Sagittarius. They are perfectly suited to moving cattle, and yet are so congenial and sweet-faced that they are a cherished companion even if it never did a day’s work.
12. Capricorn. We love Jack Russell’s for their tenacity. Born to hunt rodents they are relentless just like Capricorns known as the hardest workers of the zodiac and love nothing more than getting ahead in life.
Capricorn’s are ambitious, like our Jack Russell friends, and determined, materialistic and strong. They will keep going when others would’ve given up ten miles back. This makes them great partners in life, as well as friends or collaborators which is why we choose a Jack Russell as a Scorpios dog astrology compatibility buddy as they would make a great partner in life to a Capricorn.
So, the next time you wonder why you get along so well with a dog, you may consider if your zodiac sign is compatible with the dog’s traits – if you are dog astrology compatibility buddies, since we all seem to be guided by the stars!