If you are like me and always looking for a savory easy homemade dog treat then you likely will appreciate learning how to make sweet potato dog treats in the air fryer. Sweet potato air fryer dog treats meet all the criteria for a sumptuous easy, healthy, homemade pup snack without any mess.
Benefits of Sweet Potatoes for Dogs
As we discussed in our article The Best Ways to Cook Sweet Potatoes For Your Dog the benefits of sweet potatoes for our furry friends are many, including:
- Sweet potatoes are a great source of dietary fiber. They help the digestive system function more effectively.
- Sweet potatoes lower the risk of cardiac disease and certain types of cancers in dogs.
- Sweet potatoes are a good source of carbohydrates for dogs, especially diabetic dog due to their low glycemic attributes and ability to support blood sugar problems
- Sweet potatoes contain Beta-carotene antioxidant that gives your dog protection against heart disease.
- They’re high in vitamin A which is vital for maintaining healthy eyes, muscles, nerves, and skin.
- Sweet potatoes are low in fat and rich in vitamin C, B6, A, calcium, potassium, and iron.
- Replacement for grains and provide a carbohydrate option for a healthy dog grain-free diets
- Sweet potatoes are rich in cancer fighting beta carotene.
With all of these benefits it makes sense to give sweet potato air fryer dog treats a try!
High Value vs Low Value Dog Treats
Certain treats are high value and certain treats are low value as we discuss further here along with the uses of each here. Some treats that are the most savory moist and tantalizing for dogs are considered high value and also the most motivating and typically used for training.
While other treats are not as motivating behavior but a good and simple way to say “I love you” and “thanks for being you” to your dog, those are low value treats. Of course this may depend on your dog but sweet potato air fryer dog treats fall into the low value category in our household, a good general treat that the dogs enjoy.
Sweet Potatoes Air Fryer Dog Treats Ingredients and Variations
Just like the name suggests there is only one single ingredient. However, like many of our dog treat recipes adding some balancing Relieve Plus CBD mobility support hemp to your dog treats or Calm CBD calming hemp support can both support your pet and allows you to create your own CBD dog treats.
Another recipe variation is time to cook, the longer you leave in the air fryer the cruncher the dog treats become.
Our senior dogs love a softer treat so we tend to leave them in the air fryer less.
Sweet Potato Air Fryer Dog Treats
- Air Fryer
- 1 Sweet Potato
- Slice sweet potatoes about 1/4 inch think
- Place without layering into your air fryer
- Cook on 400 degrees for 20 minutes and 250 degrees for 30 minutes *note I left these treats pretty soft for our senior dog Zooey if you want them more crunchy leave on a lower heat for longer
- When cool slice into smaller pieces and store in air tight container in fridge
- Dole out to your beloved dog whenever they look at you cute or do something amazing!
Sweet Potatoes Air Fryer Dog Treats Recipe FAQ
No, I do not think the peel adds any choking hazard and at the same time the peel adds needed fiber. Simply wash sweet potatoes in water to scrub off any dirt and slice.
Air fryer treats will last for one week in the fridge in a sealed container. How long air fryer treats last depends on how much moisture is in the final treat and the storage conditions you select. If they are relatively dehydrated and most of the moisture removed they will last longer.
Yes! Dogs can eat air fried food. Air fried food is an excellent alternative to deep fried foods with unhealthy oils and it provides an excellent way for pet parents to make homemade dog foods with a not, more common, kitchen device.
Yes! You may be looking for a recipe for dehydrated dog treats in the air fryer, sweet potato air fryer dog treats are that. Air fryers have the full capability to dehydrate food as well simply leave on lower heat for a long period. Air fryers are an excellent option for not having to leave your oven on while you do this, just leave the food in your air fryer on 200 degrees for an extended period.
Can You Make Sweet Potato Air Fryer Treats into CBD Dog Treats?
Yes, we love CBD dog treats and you certainly can add some CBD to these treats to make them CBD dog treats. Actually we recommend doing this since then you know how much CBD your dog treats contain and understand how much CBD your dog is getting, you can add Relieve Plus Hemp Spray or Calming CBD dog chews. to your dog treats.
You may also like: