You may have an older pup like us that is showing signs of pain and slowing down. She sleeps more throughout the day and is not as eager for her nightly walk. MSM dog supplements may be the answer.
The hardest part is she really wants to go on that hike and sometimes does and there is inevitable pain and stiffness that follows. She likely has some form of arthritis.
Arthritis isn’t curable, but the pain is manageable and one helpful way is to use MSM for dog arthritis. Many veterinarians recommend an MSM dog supplement to improve joint health and because MSM is safe for dogs since it is a naturally occurring substance found in the body.
Pet lovers are rightfully concerned about dog side effects of various compounds but MSM has no dog side effects unlike NSAIDS which makes us love it even more!
We cherish MSM for these reasons and most of all it keeps our dogs that are slowing down mobile. In combination with other natural substances, such as CBD, like in Relieve Plus CBD Hemp Spray, MSM can help improve dog joint health and alleviate pain associated with arthritis.
What is MSM?
MSM, short for methylsulfonylmethane, is a non-toxic, odorless chemical.
In nature, MSM exists in animals, plants, and naturally in the human body.
MSM is a naturally occurring substance, it is found in green plants, algae, fruits, vegetables, adrenal glands, milk, and urine.
Why is MSM Beneficial for Dog Supplements?
MSM is a naturally occurring chemical compound that decreases as our bodies age. Decreasing levels of MSM result in skin problems and joint pain.
Supplementing MSM is beneficial for amino acids in the skin and decreases pressure inside cells, allowing water and nutrients to flow better inside cells. This process more effectively nourishes the aging body.
According to Wag, the real magic of MSM is its ability to get rid of the harmful things in your dog’s body while also lowering improper inflammation. This type of chronic inflammation has been found to be the starting point of almost all diseases, including dog joint health issues and even the aging process as a whole.
In a 2006 Study that was a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Fifty men and women, 40–76 years of age with knee Osteoarthritis pain were enrolled in an outpatient medical center. Intervention was MSM 3 g or placebo twice a day for 12 weeks Compared to placebo, MSM produced significant decreases in pain and physical function impairment. MSM also produced improvement in performing activities of daily living when compared to placebo.
How Does MSM Work?
MSM works by lowering pressure in cells and allowing more nutrients to be absorbed. This helps flush waste out of the dog’s body (people’s too) and improves how cells function. By making cells healthier, MSM reduces inflammation and works in multiple ways to help your dog. We’ve listed some of these benefits in detail below to help you determine if using an MSM supplement is right for your dog.
- MSM is a powerful antioxidant which is important as we have learned more about the damage that free radicals cause to our bodies. Free radicals themselves along with inflammation have been found at the root of disease, and of aging in general, and are known to injure cells and destroy DNA.
Antioxidants, such as the ones found in MSM, bind to these free radicals and allow them to exit the body.
- MSM is a detoxifier MSM detoxes the body on a cellular level, by flushing waste out of cells. It also can dissolve harmful toxins floating around inside your dog’s body.
- MSM allows fresh nutrients to enter cells. Once the bad elements are out of the cells, fresh nutrients can enter in their place. This leads to less disease and better function of the body.
- MSM is a natural pain reliever. The flushing properties of MSM also allow fluid to pass through your dog’s tissues. The supplement can actually block the pain signaled by nerves in the body.
- MSM reduces inflammation. MSM signals the body to start producing more cortisol, which in turn lowers inflammation.
All of these amazing responses happen without the need for strong, potentially damaging pain medications.
Are there MSM Dog Side Effects?
Because MSM is a natural form of sulfur, it is safe for pets.
A study published in the Journal Food and Chemical Toxicology revealed MSM did not cause chemical or biomechanical toxicity in dogs during a clinical trial.
The objective of the study was to evaluate the acute and subchronic toxicity of MSM in rats at a dose five to seven times the maximum recommended dose in humans. MSM administered as a daily dose of 1.5 g/kg for 90 days by gavage resulted in no adverse events or mortality. It was concluded that MSM is well tolerated in rats at an acute dose of 2 g/kg and at a subacute chronic dose of 1.5 g/kg.
This is a great study to predict the tolerance of MSM in pets but only give your pet the recommended dose of MSM, and bring your dog to the vet if he shows any adverse effects.
Why Do You Combine Dog MSM with CBD and Other Beneficial Compounds?
MSM is even stronger when used in conjunction with other herbs and compounds.
For example, Relieve Plus CBD Hemp spray includes MSM, Boswellia, Yucca and CBD, a powerful combination to help dogs feel their best.
MSM functions as an enhancer of other beneficial ingredients. Once it does its work removing the bad items out of cells, other beneficial ingredients can be absorbed more easily.
A dog who has good levels of MSM will go on to experience longer benefits from other beneficial ingredients that work with the cells and the dogs systems like CBD so that they have a heightened effect if MSM dog supplement is added to other ingredients..
More Powerful Tools for Overcoming Dog Arthritis Challenges
There are many quick and easy changes you can make at home to help you give your dog an edge on easing dog arthritis pain.
- Learn more about dog arthritis.
- Try cooking CBD dog treats for your dog and feeding them high-quality dog food.
- Ease your dogs pain naturally with CBD Joint Supplements like Relieve-Plus CBD Hemp spray with MSM.
- Check out our other tips for relieving arthritis pain in dogs.